About Me

My photo
I am a 29-ish yr old married mother of 8. My family is my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. My darling husband is my very best friend and together we are raising 8 of the best kids in the world! They are Rose(12) Sarah(12) Ammon(10) Malachi(8) Gabriel(7) Hannah(5) Maggie(4) and Abbie(3) We currently own 2 dogs, 1 bird, 5 chinchillas, 1,000,000 rabbits, 1 cat, 4.5 horses, and one ferret. We just purchased a home that is definately a "fixer-upper", with land and room for the kids to roam. Our goal is to run a mostly self sustaining farm and live in peace as we grow as a strong family unit. We have seen our fair share of hardships, but we are thankful for the many blessings the Lord gives us on a regular basis!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Karate Kid!


(This is her PROUD face!)

Sarah decided that the Cello was not for her. She finished the semester and we are very proud of her for finishing it out even though it was challenging.
She's been talking about taking a martial arts class for years now and we have finally decided to allow her.
I actually found the gym that she goes to by searching for a gymnastics class for Malachi. When John and I went to tour the facility it was quiet and peaceful and we were the only two people besides a few students and the two owners. We eventually signed Chi up for a trial gymnastics class and Ammon, Sarah, and Gabie up for a trial karate class.
Well, when we got there last Thursday, the calm environment I expected was GONE! There were cheerleaders and gymnasts EVERY WHERE! It was like a three ring circus...only there were like 20 rings! As soon as I saw all the flips and tricks they were doing I knew what I was in for. They ALL wanted to try gymnastics! I was bummed, but I let them all go with the gymnastics classes.
About 15 minutes after they started I went up to the balcony area to watch... Ammon Malachi and Gabie seemed to be happy. (Malachi was thrilled!) Then I saw Sarah. She was happy too...Happily playing in the chalk! She was so distract by EVERYTHING that was going on I knew there was no way that class was going to keep her interest...let alone TEACH her something. That's when I had a very good Mommy moment.
I went down stars and asked the receptionist to pull Sarah out of the gymnastics class. I told Sarah that I wanted her to TRY the Karate class. She looked really disappointed and tried to get me to let her to stay in the gymnastics class. I told her that if she truly didn't like it I wouldn't make her take it and I would let her do gymnastics. Well, she got right in there and kicked and punched with the best of them. She was being high-fived and praised the entire time, and she had the biggest smile on her face I have seen in a long time.
I knew I had made the right decision when she walked out of the class, took one look at me, and said "KA-RA-TE!"
Chalk one up to "Mother knows best"! I truly hope that this will build her confidence and self esteem. She has already "earned" her belt. (They don't get the belt with the gee. The teacher makes a big deal about them getting it in front of the class.)
Ammon has also decided to take karate and has had his trial class. I hope things go well for both of them and they stick with it! I really think that this will help them both overcome their individual challenges and improve both of their strengths! I will get pictures of him in his gee when he gets it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Andrea Hardman said...

Wow! Great "momming" Good for you. It always feels good to have your kids find a niche where they fit in and feel good about themselves. I hope they continue to enjoy it!

Stephanie said...

I LOVE all the new pics you've put up! Your kids are so beautiful! I can't believe how much they are changing! Rosie's face is changing and is starting to look more like you now....Wow!