About Me

My photo
I am a 29-ish yr old married mother of 8. My family is my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. My darling husband is my very best friend and together we are raising 8 of the best kids in the world! They are Rose(12) Sarah(12) Ammon(10) Malachi(8) Gabriel(7) Hannah(5) Maggie(4) and Abbie(3) We currently own 2 dogs, 1 bird, 5 chinchillas, 1,000,000 rabbits, 1 cat, 4.5 horses, and one ferret. We just purchased a home that is definately a "fixer-upper", with land and room for the kids to roam. Our goal is to run a mostly self sustaining farm and live in peace as we grow as a strong family unit. We have seen our fair share of hardships, but we are thankful for the many blessings the Lord gives us on a regular basis!

Monday, March 24, 2008

The forgiveness of a child...

My Malachi has always been the one that LOVES our babies. From Gabie to Abbie he has been ecstatic about the and cherished each one. As each baby has grown he has relished in being the "big brudder". He cares for and loves each one of his younger siblings as a big brother should.

This morning he had Hannah's beloved Cinderella wand. I'm not quite sure what he was doing with it but it was obviously some boy-type game...those are the only kind he plays. He broke the wand. He snapped the decorative end off.

He came to me holding it behind his back, and with puddles in his eyes, showed it to me and then confessed. Then he began to tell that this was "Really, really bad!" and "It's just that... I'm sorry for what I did and I need Hannah to forgive me...but she's not going to because... because this is her favorite fing... and I broke her favorite fing!"

I paused, thinking for a moment. (I love it when I remember to think before reacting!) I called Hannah downstairs and Malachi showed her what he had done and gave the most sincere apology that I think I have ever heard from one of my children.
I saw the emotions go through Hannah's face as though she had written words on her face. First there was pain...this was after all her most valued possession, then anger, and finally compassion. All of this with no words said. Finally she hung her head and took a deep breath, and lifted it again.

Smiling she said "It's Okay, My-chi, you didn't mean too. You my brudder. I yuv you."

They hugged...I cried.

As I was writing all of this I was thinking to my self. There is more to this story. Everyday as a Mom I screw up in some kind of way. I yell to loud or spank to quickly. There is always some one I've wronged. I can't count the nights that I have sat awake rehashing the day and wishing I had done something differently. But, I have found that as long as I am continuously showing them the love and attention that a child needs. When I go to them with a sincere apology they are always willing to accept it and forgive me.

No comments: