About Me

My photo
I am a 29-ish yr old married mother of 8. My family is my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. My darling husband is my very best friend and together we are raising 8 of the best kids in the world! They are Rose(12) Sarah(12) Ammon(10) Malachi(8) Gabriel(7) Hannah(5) Maggie(4) and Abbie(3) We currently own 2 dogs, 1 bird, 5 chinchillas, 1,000,000 rabbits, 1 cat, 4.5 horses, and one ferret. We just purchased a home that is definately a "fixer-upper", with land and room for the kids to roam. Our goal is to run a mostly self sustaining farm and live in peace as we grow as a strong family unit. We have seen our fair share of hardships, but we are thankful for the many blessings the Lord gives us on a regular basis!

Friday, February 22, 2008

A day in the life...

I home school. Not the traditional "no-books-make-up-your-own-curriculum". Can you imagine that with MY husband? No way. We do an Online Charter School. I jokingly say "All the work is done for us... except the teaching."

No primitive schooling for us... We have a school room that is equipped with three computers (networked of course) and entire wall of school supplies. Unless I am changing a diaper or trying to spend time with another child I am at this computer. Looking up assignments, marking attendance, giving a lesson, recording grades, etc... Sometimes, I even bring my lunch to my desk (a BIG rule breaker) just so I can glance over the next lesson I am supposed to give.

I don't know how or why I do it....Well I guess that's not true. I do it only with the Lord's help and guidance. I do it because I feel it's my calling. Don't get me wrong. I don't think that everyone can or should home school. I just know that I can and I should. You can give your children a good education and spiritual knowledge whether they are in public, private, parochial, or home school. It all depends on parental and teacher involvement.

So, I thought that some people might be wondering what a day looks like for us. (okay, I know because so many people have asked)

A general day goes something like this:
7:30- get up get showered and blah, blah, blah...
9:00- chores, Maggie goes down for morning nap, baby gets fed (at the computer) and I review the days assignments.
10 or 10:30- (if we're lucky) 4 oldest on math, Gabie on busy work or with Hannah(snacking if they want) Maggie get's up somewhere around here
11:30 or 12:00- (depending on how many questions I have answered for math...or if we get stuck on something) Sarah on Lang Arts with me, Rose on Lit, and the boys go play with the little ones, baby fed again
1:00- lunch
1:30 or 2:00- (most likely 2:30) Ammon on Reading lesson with me, Sarah on break with others, Rose on Lang skills, Maggie screaming her darling little head off in the new cage... I mean playpen!
3:00-Rose on Spelling (except on Fridays), Sarah reading/phonics with me, feed baby, Maggie down for afternoon nap, Hannah and Gabie quiet time. (hopefully)
4:00-Malachi Phonics with me, Rose on Test Readiness
5:00-Boys on Lang Arts with me, I remember that I haven't started dinner...John gets home. 6:00-Feed baby
6:30 or 7:00- Eat dinner (Most often made with Johns help!) give spelling test or lesson that was forgotten or replaced with something else such as story for Hannah, diaper time, washing/folding laundry, etc...etc...etc..., feed dog, let dog out
8:00- bed time (ha ha ha) but really, scripture/prayer, baths (only when absolutely necessary), pjs
9:00- lots of giggles and whispers, baby crying...needs fed! Journaling/blogging, check email, plan for next day, put phone on hook, Let dog in, turn off downstairs lights, lock up
9:30- silence...
Some where (normally Saturdays) I throw in History, Art, and Science. These are my kids’ favorite subjects though, so it's not so hard to squeeze in an entire unit in one day.

The reason I plan for so much time to sleep is because I don't get it... I have a newborn, or kids that puke, or one with nightmares...there’s always something :)

This is NOT set in stone! Many times this doesn't even begin to look like a day for us. There are many times when I just throw my plans right out the window and we go for a walk, to the park, or just play in our side yard. Lots of times I'll put a movie on in the middle of the day for no reason other than the fact that the kids want to watch one.

Every other Tuesday the girls have achievement and Many times Nana comes by to take a couple kidos off my hands, to help them with make-up or extra study time...I think she just likes the excuse to be around them...Thanks Nana! :)

See, here's the thing about home schooling...It teaches the kids to be flexible. No matter what "school" you choose, as long as you teach them the life skills that they need, you're children will be just fine. I love my children. I love to spend time with them. I love to watch them learn. It's amazing to see those gears going at lightning speed. To watch eyes light up the first time they sound out a word thrills me! It's hard to explain really.

No comments: